STANDARDIZED DRESS CODE
The purpose of the dress code is to encourage students to focus on the learning process without distractions of unsuitable dress and grooming. Students shall maintain a clean, orderly appearance at all times. The School Board of Lee County defines the overall guidelines for the student dress code in Board Policy 5.24. It also gives the individual schools the authority to establish additional regulations. The responsibility for the personal appearance of the student rests with the parent or guardian. The following establishes the minimum acceptable standards for student dress to be interpreted and enforced by the administration and staff at Lexington Middle School.
STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO COME DRESSED FOR SUCCESS IN AN EDUCATIONAL SETTING.
Pants/Bottoms-Pants must be solid colors or plaids. If designed with belt loops, belts must be worn at all times. Pants/Bottoms must fit appropriately, not too loose or too tight, and must be worn at the waist. Pajama style, sports pants, sweatpants, stretch pants, leggings/jeggings, joggers or drawstring pants are prohibited.
Shorts/Skorts—Must be worn at the knee. No athletic shorts. If designed with belt loops, belts must be worn at all times. Must fit appropriately, not too loose or too tight, and must be worn at the waist.
Capri pants—Must fit appropriately, not too loose or too tight.
Dresses/Skirts—Must be worn at the knee. They must fit appropriately, not too loose or too tight. All dresses must have sleeves. No slits above the knee.
Tops/Shirts—Must be tucked in at all times. Must be an oxford or polo style with a collar and buttons. Must be buttoned appropriately. Solid, striped or plaid are acceptable. Logos must be no larger than a half dollar. Tank tops may not be showing.
Footwear—Sneakers are acceptable. No flip flops, slippers, sport sandals or open back shoes.
Cold Weather Wear—Jackets, sweatshirts and sweaters must zip or button down the front with a dress code shirt underneath and tucked in. No pullover sweatshirts, jackets, sweaters are permitted and these items cannot be tied around the waist.
*Clothing may not be torn, frayed or altered from its original style.
· Shoes must be worn at all times.
· Apparel shall be adequate in length and coverage. All undergarments must be completely covered.
· Shirts will be appropriately fastened and length must extend past the waist level.
· Any articles of clothing or jewelry that could cause injury, includes but not limited to...belt chains, wallet chains, bracelets, rings, chokers, any spiked item, studded item or medallions are prohibited.
· Apparel, emblems, insignias, badges or symbols that promote the use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, or any other illegal activity are prohibited.
· Apparel or symbols which may be gang-related may not be displayed on a student or any item belonging to a student.
· Adornments which are attached (pierced) to exposed body parts other than the ears are prohibited. Earrings are permitted. Any other item is prohibited.
· Hair must be of a natural color. Distractive hair coloring or hair style is prohibited (including shaved designs in hair and eyebrows).
· Hats, caps, headgear, bandanas, hoods, sweatbands or sunglasses are prohibited. There may be certain exceptions for medical conditions and/or physical education classes being held outside. The administration will determine these exceptions.
· Clothing that is see through, tight or form-fitting is prohibited.
The administration reserves the right to make changes based on changing fashions or trends.